Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Volunteering at Your Child's School

Guest post written by my buddy Royce Heath

A good parent goes the extra mile for their child, or the extra kilometer, depending on whether or not you are a patriot. I go to volunteer every week and help out by participating during recess, watching kids to make sure they are playing games by the rules and adhering to the mores of fair play.

I volunteer about twice a week, sometimes even when the school doesn't ask me to. This is because I have plenty of free time and am a very lonely man. Such is the abyss of my loneliness that I often stare at the clock and wonder when my kid will return home so we can watch cartoons together. I am a simple man who loves cartoons, although my child only watches to patronize me, as she is far more interested in watching reruns of Seinfeld. In any case the best way to help out is to teach the kids new games and have an ebullient attitude. Children can sense when you aren't being completely enthusiastic, so I suggest before you go to volunteer you imbibe a vat of coffee. This will help you match their energy, especially during high intensity games like tag, hopscotch, and ring around the rosey.

Thankfully, despite living in a terrible neighborhood with rampant crime, I am able to leave my home in peace thanks to my Home-Alarm-Systems, which I set before I leave.

No comments: