Friday, September 26, 2008

Washington D.C. Bank Goes Broke

I just heard on the news that the biggest bank in Washington, D.C. went broke overnight. It was bought out by another big bank. People are making a run or as they say it, a walk on the bank, drawing out millions. They don't understand that their money is safe and if Government insured. It sure is reminiscent of the stock market crash of 1929. Some rich people have lost billions. It used to be a million was a lot of money but not anymore. If you don't have billions, they don't notice you at all. I don't have to worry about that though as I am not even a thousandaire and I made that word up myself. I am sure people in small towns like ours are beginning to wonder about their own banks. However, we have had a number of articles in the local papers reassuring people that our banks are safe. They do not do the huge unstable mortgage lending that the big national banks do. It is comforting to do business with a family owned business that has been in business over 100 years.

No comments: