Monday, July 14, 2008

Crockpot Roast Supper

I don't think there can be anything much better or better than a good quality roast cooked all day in a crockpot with whole onions, potatoes and carrots. Of course you add the vegetables later in the day. But I usually brown my roast with garlic salt and onion salt and some greek seasoning. I like to put 2 cups of hot water in the crockpot and turn it on high while I brown the roast on every side, ends too. I also like to put some garlic salt and onion salt in the water to taste first. Add the roast about 9:00 a.m. on low. About 2:00 p.m. add 2-4 medium sized whole onions. I love to eat some onion with my meat, so it is up to you how many you put in. But they really flavor the gravy, Yum! Then add as many cleaned whole carrots as you need for your family and then about 3:30 or 4 add whole peeled potatoes according to the number in your family. I forgot once and left the skins on and it made the gravy taste like the potato skins and we didn't like it. Put some frozen rolls in the oven about 10 minutes before you are ready to eat and serve along with butter and jam. Then get out the vegetables and put them on a separate plate or low bowl. Slice the roast thin against the grain and serve it up with fruit for dessert. At our house, sliced peaches in heavy syrup have always been a big favorite and that is what my husband had growing up. And sometimes we have strawberries and shortcake. The leftover roast (if there is any) makes wonderful sandwiches the next day for lunch. And don't forget the ice cold milk.

No comments: